Welcome to another Weekly Round-Up! This week I read a bunch of really good books and not really anything that I would qualify as “bad”. I don’t think that I’ll have a Worst Books of the Week section this week. I don’t want to say hopefully I’ll have one next week because no one wants to read bad books!! Anyway onto the book reviews!
Best Books of the Week:
- Sweet Masterpiece by Connie Shelton (finished)
- This little e-book really snuck up on me! I read the first half in one sitting! It was a really good cozy mystery. Samantha Sweet is a baker that is working her way up to owning her own bakery someday. Until then she is working as a cleaner of abandon or foreclosed houses. As she is mowing the lawn of one of those houses she comes across a shallow grave in the backyard. This sets in motion a series of events that will change her life! But will it be for better or worse?? You’ll have to read it and find out!! I really loved this book and I would highly recommend it to anyone that likes mystery. There isn’t really any gore or like jump scare type things in this so it could be suitable for pretty much anyone.
- Maus II: A Survivor’s Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman (finished)
- This was the second and last book in the Maus series which is all about Art Speigelman’s father and his life living as a Jew in Hitler’s Europe. This second volume finds Vladek Spiegelman leaving the horrors of Auschwitz behind as he tries to re-enter normal life. I found this volume just as heart-wrenching as the first but in a different way. Art Spiegelman writes very candidly about the hard time that he had dealing with his father and relating to him after what he had been through. This volume seems to really dig into that. It also deals with Art’s feelings of anger towards his father and guilt for feeling that anger. I loved both volumes of this but honestly I’m glad there isn’t anymore to read. These types of books are so hard to read. I feel like it is important that we read them though, no matter how hard it can be.
- That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime by Fuse (finished)
- This was such a super cute manga! This was about Mikami a 37 year old worker bee living in Tokyo that is stabbed in the street while defending his friends. He is reincarnated as a lowly slime in a new world. It reminded me kind of when you are playing a video game and trying to figure out the way the new world that you are thrust into works without anyone to guide you. I really loved this. It is adorable and the story is really great too. If you are a fan of RPG type games or adventure manga then this would probably be a great fit for you!
That is it for the books this week! Did you guys read anything good lately?? I would love to hear about your latest reads in the comments! Or stop by on Twitter to let me know, I would love to know what you’re reading.