It is Saturday which once again means it is time for the Weekly Round Up! I didn’t feel like I read much this week but I think that is because I was reading a lot of comics and manga this week. The local library just got a bunch of new stuff in and I decided to give it a try! Our local children and young adult librarian, Patricia, is really awesome and had some great suggestions when I stopped by the library this morning. I was only going to drop off the books that I had to return but I ended up checking out more (I can never just drop off books it seems).
So to start things off, as usual, the books that are in blue have been read and the books in purple are in progress.
- Saga Volume 7 by Brian K. Vaughan:
- I really liked this volume of the series. If you have not read any of the Saga comics I highly, highly recommend them. I would say that they are only for mature readers only though. There is sex, violence, drug use throughout the series.
- Crimson Hero by Mitsuba Takanashi:
- This was one of the suggestions from Patricia from the library. I picked it up this morning and read it while I was on my break at work. I generally don’t like books about sports so I wasn’t really sure going in if I was going to like this book or not. I’m still not 100% sure if I really like this series or not. I got the second and third volumes to continue the story and see if it grows on me.
- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
- This book is about a young boy that is transported to an alternate dimension. Once he’s in this new world he becomes captured by the local people. That is pretty much as far as I’ve gotten on this story. I’m not really sure how I feel about this book so far. Parts of it are fine and parts of it seem to be way to advanced for a children’s book. There are a lot of large words in this. Some of which I had never even heard of (I had to Google them!). This is a Young Adult fantasy book so I really feel like some of the language is to advanced for Young Adult. Although I’m excited to learn some new words! I always like expanding my vocabulary.
- My Brother’s Husband by Gengoroh Tagame
- This was another suggestion by Patricia and it was a great one! I really loved this book and I will definitely be adding it to my collection. This book is about Yaichi who lives with his young daughter, Kana, and one day they get a (planned) visitor in the form of Mike from Canada. Mike was the husband of Yaichi’s twin brother Ryoji who has recently passed away. Mike has come to Japan to visit all of the places that Ryoji talked about from his childhood and to meet his family. As you can imagine, because Yaichi is Ryoji’s twin, it is sometimes hard on Mike since they look so similar. This story definitely made me very emotional and I definitely cried while reading it. There are more volumes and I’m going to see if I can find the next one soon.
- The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Volumes 5 & 7 by Ryan North
- I really love this comic. I’ve read up to the seventh volume and I highly recommend it to anyone but especially those readers who think that they don’t like comics.
- The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang
- This was a really great book all about acceptance and being true to yourself. This book is about Prince Sebastian who is being set up by his parents on many blind dates with princesses from other countries to try and secure him a bride. But at night Prince Sebastian transforms through the amazing dresses made by his dressmaker and friend, Frances, into Lady Crystallia! I won’t spoil how the story goes or how it ends but this is another one that I will be adding to my collection shortly.
That is all for this week! I’m going to continue on reading all my current reads so that I can let you guys know how they were (hopefully next week!). I would love to connect with you all via the comment section or through Twitter (@jillpill90)! Can’t wait to hear all about what you are reading and loving this week!